Welcome to Good Earth Uncut!
This Website is Written For All Organic Gardeners, Urban Farmers and Family Food Growers, For All Natural and Sustainable Poultry Keepers, For Self Sufficient Smallholders, and for all Earth Lovers.
If you are thinking of:
* Starting your Very First Food Garden - either In Balcony Boxes and Patio Pots, in raised beds, or open plots;
* Keeping your very first flock of fowls in the garden, in town or country;
* About to add your first milking goat, or considering the wisdom of bringing sheep, ducks, turkeys, guinea fowl or even a milking cow or pig into your urban family farming mix, or onto country acres;
* Considering going all natural and organic in your food growing, or with your hens, or farming stock;
* Thinking of moving from city to country, and wanting to learn all about growing food and keeping livestock on as smallholding, or a larger farm.
* Now needing to know what the hell is a Pereculture?
* Hoping to learn how to use perecultural principles to better integrate your poultry flock or farm stock with an annual food garden, perennial potager, food forest, orchard, woodlot, or shade and shelter plantings;
* Seeking to learn how to keep perennial poultry flocks organically, in the town or suburbs, truly sustainably - which means across a successful, productive span of many years and decades - and not just across a few dreamy weeks of soon trampled, muddied and exhausted, then summer dust -bowled, and all destroyed, disappearing lawn and food garden;
* Have “been there, and done that” with all of the above for too many years to remember, but now feel like you need to be re -energised and renewed by the support of a like-minded community of Good Earth lovers who can share a joke, online (at our subscribers only GEU Member Facebook page) bemoaning the Houdini like skills of escaping fowls or the sheer cheek or lorikeets which totally ignore your “guaranteed” expensive and totally useless cut out cardboard owl or eagle bird scarers - and which just go on mocking you - even as they continue to steal your fruit!
Then - if any of the above apply to you - this is
Your Very Own Website and you really must Subscribe, to join our community, and to learn - week, by week - how to do all of it!
To Subscribe: Click Here!
About “Good Earth”
After writing his much loved weekly "Good Earth" column for the Hobart Mercury for the past three decades, Paul Healy has now taken is his forty years of work and thought in the field of sustainable food growing, urban farming, and organic poultry keeping, online.
Good Earth Uncut has now become – in the writer's own words - a “superblogged” set of extensive weekly or fortnightly columns and growing guides shaped especially for the rapidly changing world of website use and writing.
This is the place where lovers of lyric prose and good writing can now enjoy the sound and shape of crafted language, online, while drawing upon a lifetime's store of extensive, uniquely interconnected information and insight which comes with Paul's always “hands on” encyclopaedic scan across so many fields of sustainable urban farming, organic poultry keeping, stock breeding, and food gardening.
A long time published poet and one time teacher of English literature, it's the ever pleasing, always lyric fluency of Paul's prose which - in many ways - itself shows how all things may be mixed and managed skilfully, as an organic whole, in the sustainable patio pot garden; in extended family food plots; on an urban farm, or out across the open acres of a smallholder's still unfolding dream of self sufficient food growing, poultry breeding and livestock management.
There are very few people who have grown all of their own organic veg, fruit, poultry meat, beef, pork, game, goat and lamb for two successive cycles of family living spread across five ever busy decades of time and trial, and ever evolving practice.
Even fewer people have lived such a life in both town and country and then gone on to do the two things concurrently: still breeding and maintaining organic pigs, poultry flocks, turkeys and a cattle herd, on country acres, as well as designing and maintaining a brand new urban farm and poultry garden, in the city!
So the old, newsprint constrained, "Good Earth" column has now grown - and will continue growing out - to meet the unlimited potential of an online medium.
Paul has described this space as a "Wide Frontier" for his writing, one whose fresh horizons are like a whole new world of possibilities for a space hungry settler.
Mini Video Workshops
Subscribers also have access to a new series of on-site-shot garden, farm and home flock workshop teaching videos which exhibit Paul's broad experience as a farm and garden teacher, performer, and radio presenter.
This new video content will build into an extensive library of essential tips and insights into the best first steps and finer arts of organic gardening, sustainable flock keeping, and urban farming.
It is one good thing: to be able to read the carefully crafted words of a professional writer and poet.
It is another, even more intriguing and instructive exercise, in some ways, to see and hear how a perennial earth worker and thinker studies nature, even while he works - observing, connecting, framing and expanding upon the same day's new reflection, live, on video - pointing out a new perception even while still forming ideas being drawn from the latest focus of an ever curious mind and eye.
Finally - and though I make the information on this website available to anyone who may choose to pursue or to bypass the knowledge of the method - as they wish - let me make it clear that no words written on this site are necessarily advising, recommending or suggesting that anyone should adopt or pursue the means and methods which I have described and followed, in my poultry keeping, farming and gardening, and neither is there any kind of guarantee offered or given – either overt, or implied.
Though I am detailing and describing approaches which have worked for me, across the years - in the particular places, seasons, situations and settings in which they have been adopted and adapted - by no means am I suggesting, nor am I saying, that any or all of the methods or approaches outlined on this website will work perfectly, or at all - each or every time they are used or tried - in every different kind of various and varied situation and setting which is to be found outside, within an open, ever changing, environment.